Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake Felt in Michigan?!?!

Well, I know that Mike and I definitely felt the quake. I was sleeping and actually thought he was "messing" with me since his alarm had gone off about 15 minutes before the rattling woke me back up. Then he came back downstairs and said, "Did you feel it? There was an earthquake!" I thought he was pulling my leg and I blew it off as nothing until I heard the BREAKING NEWS this morning on my way into work. Crazy... You have to love Michigan! Oh yeah, and I called Bernie who is currently living Tennessee (much closer than what we are here in MI) and she said she slept through the night... it must have been the NyQuil she took:)

Info from Storm Team 8...
WEST SALEM, Ill. (AP) -- Phone calls and e-mails continue to flow into the 24 Hour News 8 newsroom as people across West Michigan report feeling an earthquake in the area.
A 5.2-magnitude earthquake that appeared to rival the strongest recorded in the region rocked people up to 450 miles away early Friday, surprising residents unaccustomed to such a powerful Midwest temblor.


Storm Team 8's Bill Steffen says people are reporting feeling the earthquake in 17 states: as far south as northern Florida, east in West Virginia, west in Kansas and north in Wisconsin and Michigan.


According to Consumers Energy there are currently no outages in West Michigan. "All is quiet on the electric system," said a spokesperson. "There are no outages in the Grand Rapids area."
The quake caused officials to go into emergency procedures at Cook Power Plant in Bridgman, south of St. Joseph. Crews conducted inspections and walk-throughs of plant systems to check for damage. So far no damage has been found.

The quake, just before 4:37 a.m., was centered six miles from West Salem, Ill., and 66 miles from Evansville, Ind. It was felt in such distant cities as Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, and Des Moines, Iowa, 450 miles northwest of the epicenter, but there were no early reports of injuries or significant damage.


The quake occurred in the Illinois basin-Ozark dome region, which covers parts of Indiana, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, and Arkansas and stretches from Indianapolis and St. Louis to Memphis, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

2 comments:

Our Family said...

Yep our relitor showed us over 25 differnt houses and we talked with teachers in 2 different school districts it was nice i am seriously excited to go now! =)

Anonymous said...

crazy stuff.....