Monday, September 28, 2009

Mini Vacay!

This weekend we took off with our good friends, Tom and Mary to sightsee, hike, EAT, canoe, enjoy God's creations and each other. Operation Vacation: Success!

Tom and Mary love spending time up North so they were pros at knowing where to go, what to do, and where to eat. We got up to our cottage around 6pm on Friday (after dropping Earle off at my parents house for an extended stay - he loves going to Grandma and Grandpa's house). Got checked in, walked through the town, got dinner (after a slight detour) and went to bed early.


But Saturday was action packed! Our first stop was Fish Town. A whole bunch of old fishing shacks made into shops, snack huts, candy stores, etc. We spent the morning browsing around, eating (sandwiches, candy, ice cream etc). It is very quaint and was a very enjoyable morning.Mike and a big anchor!

Tom and Mary (parents to be) chillin' outside the candy shop on the gliding table that Mike is going to make for me!Mike and I chillin' on the other side of the table... Do I have crumbs stuck in my teeth from the mint chocolate covered Oreo that I just ate? :)The gliding table that Mike needs to construct... that can be his next project. After hanging in Fish Town we headed to the dunes. First we hiked a "small" trail that I was told was only a mile and a half ( but it was the longest mile and a half I have ever hiked). Then Tom, Mary and Mike decided they wanted to do the big dune trail which is basically a 450 foot vertical hike. More or less you slide to the bottom, then turn around and hike back up (not my idea of a good time). Here is Mike scoping out the dune they are about to descend. The before picture. All pretty chipper and sweat free...

..."sliding" down......Tom kind of got out of control and couldn't stop......the way back up...

...and finished. Notice the sweat! But at least they did it (more than I can say). My view while I waited for them.

And here is a shot of crazy Tom. I think it was in the mid to upper 50's and he goes for a swim. NUTS if you ask me.

Sunday, we got up around 9, had breakfast, loaded the car and went for a canoe trip. What a fabulous weekend getaway. Can't wait to do it again next year (hopefully).

3 comments:

Laura said...

Love the pics. It looks like you guys had a great time! I am so happy, I think if you go back you should do the dune climb!

MikeandLynette said...

Ha! Yeah right. I got tired just watching :)

Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo! We made the blog!

You got awesome pictures, Lynette. Especially the views while you waited for us to climb up. That climb is not for the faint of heart. I feel bad for the old overweight guy who was headed down as we were almost to the top.

We had a blast, and I hope we can do it again next year, too. Maybe even find a campground with a shower! (we'd probably eat a little better).